Hopewell Valley Student Podcasting Network
Show Name: Do You CARE?
Episode #1: How Food Brings Us Together
Instagram to be shared on the network’s Instagram handle: @carehv
You are listening to Do You CARE? with your host(s) the HV CARE Leaders.
In this episode of Do You CARE the Podcast we discuss: different foods from our cultures we loved, the lunchbox moment, and how it affected people of color growing up .
- Olivia Kim
- Xavier Jimenez
- Anushka Agarwal
- Jenny Lopez
Segment 1: Conversations of Our Favorite Foods from our Different Cultures
- Each person shares their favorite dish growing up that is specific to their culture
- Opens up about what cooking and eating was like for each of them
Segment 2: What is the Lunchbox Moment (with personal experiences)?
- Google definition: “refers to a shared experience of being judged for the cultural food Asian American children bring to school”
- The term caters to Asian Americans specifically
- But we are aware that other cultures (which are expressed within our episode 1 podcast group) face this
- The lunchbox moment brought feelings of cultural isolation and need for assimilation
Segment 3: Prevention/What Can You Do As An Ally?
- We must shift these feelings of embarrassment to ones of empowerment
- Take pride in your culture
- We know this may be difficult at a PW, so that is why it is important for allies to help.
Subscribe to our Podcast
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
Connect with us on Social Media