Hopewell Valley Student Podcasting Network
Show Name: Do You CARE?
Episode #3: Activism Before vs. After the Pandemic
Instagram to be shared on the network’s Instagram handle: @carehv
You are listening to Do You CARE? with your host(s) the HV CARE Leaders.
In this episode of Do You CARE the Podcast we discuss: performative activism on social media, resurgence of various social justice movements, and how we can be all be better activists.
- Elliot Block
- Addie Sullivan
- Emily Eschleman
- Xavier Jimenez OR Regina Franco-Valverde
Segment 1: Digitalization of Advocacy and Why it Occurred
- Pandemic impact (general)
- Do you advocate via social media and if so how often?
- Protests during summer 2020
- Social media activism – BLM posts
- Black screen – positives/negatives
- Did you post a black screen? If yes, why? If not, did you post something else?
- Definition of performative activism
- Elliot, went to protest in person
- Addie and Emily, did not go, but explain why or circumstances and if they had the desire to go
- Why is social media important for the people who couldn’t go to in person events
Segment 2: How Can You Be a Better Activist?
- What are the kinds of things that we should be posting on social media
- Important links, upcoming events
- Posting whatever you see, posting the bare minimum (content)
- Intent of the post and how you can’t tell if it’s well intended
- Is social media activism required
- Peer pressure?
- Does not posting strip away your allyship?
Subscribe to our Podcast
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts