Hopewell Valley Student Podcasting Network
Show Name: Beyond a Bedtime Story
Episode Title: “My Favorites” Book Review
You are listening to Beyond a Bedtime Story the podcast with your host Emily.
In this episode of Beyond a Bedtime Story the Podcast, I will provide guidance on how to engage your child using my favorite picture books from childhood.
Segment 1: I Love My New Toy!
Hi, Welcome back! I’m your host Emily, and you’re listening to Beyond a Bedtime Story: A Parent’s Guide to Children’s Reading! In this episode, I will be introducing you to two of my favorite picture books from childhood while giving specific ways to prompt your child while reading each text. So feel free to grab the book, if you have it, and follow along as I refer to specific page numbers.
- I Love My New Toy! By Mo Willems (An Elephant & Piggie Book)
Segment 2: If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
The next book I will be reviewing is If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Numeroff
Segment 3: Having a Staple Series
The next couple of episodes of my podcast will follow this structure of reviewing picture books followed by a final segment that identifies what makes these books special and similar recommendations.
- Taking a liking/becoming invested in the series encouraged me to continue reading them
- I read all of the Elephant and Piggie books + If You Give a Mouse a Cookie series
- Not a bad thing for kids to prefer a certain series, yes they should be reading a diverse selection but becoming accustomed to a certain author and style might encourage them to pursue reading independently
- I found joy in seeking out the series that I loved, and, once I was proficient in reading, I took it upon myself to continue reading them
- Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems
- Bernstein Bears by Jan and Stan Bernstein
- Amelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish
- Lawrence by TrackTribe
- Palace of Roses by Aakash Gandhi
- The Urban Groove by Hanu